GCE qualifications in Applied ICT are designed to give learners
broad skills, knowledge and understanding of the ICT sector. In particular,
they will encourage learners to develop:
• A broad range of ICT skills and knowledge of the uses of ICT in
vocational contexts, as a basis for progression into further learning in
ICT-related fields, including progression from AS to A2
• Knowledge and understanding of the components, functions and
applications of information systems within a range of organizations
• An understanding of the main principles of solving problems using ICT
and development of the skills necessary to apply this understanding.
In addition, Advanced GCE specifications encourage learners to:
• Apply their knowledge and understanding of ICT and use skills (e.g.
planning, research, evaluation, problem solving) in vocational contexts
• Develop an understanding of the impact of information systems on
organisations' personnel, policies and practices
• Develop project management skills and an understanding of the need to
work with others.